Bagels are not pretty common around here… so one has to start figuring out how to make them! After a little research, I found this homemade bagels recipe and to be honest, it was fun to make them… but they take pretty long! And they don’t get better with time. What I’m trying to say is, if you are close to a Panera Bread, just go there and skip this recipe 😀 But if you are craving some bagels and cannot find them where you live, or maybe you just wanna give it a try to the homemade version… well…here it is!
– 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup cornmeal
– 1 yeast packet
– 2 tbsp sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup warm water
– 2 tbsp oil
– 1 egg
– Mix 1 cup of flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. Add water, oil and egg.
– Blend and beat for about 4 minutes.
– Add the remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
– Let it rest in a covered bowl for 1 hour.
– Divide the dough in four parts, divide each part into 3 pieces and in a floured surface shape each piece into a smooth ball. Make a hole in the center of each ball and shape it like a bagel ^^
– Boil 2 liters of water with salt or sugar. Let the bagels boil for a few minutes, and place them on a baking sheet.
– Brush 1 egg white on them and sprinkle with your favorite seeds!
– Bake at 180º for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Save this delicious recipe!