Last night I baked the yummiest sugar cookies with icing! I gotta admit that I’m horrible at baking homemade cookies. Of course, I can do the box ones… but whenever I do them from scratch, they are just horrible! Las Christmas I baked 5 different kinds of cookies, and they all ended up in the garbage. One actually became yummy after 5 days… but ewww?!
Anyways! Yesterday I realized I have way too many bookmarked recipes… and decided to start with this one I found at Shopping, Saving and Sequins. Oh, and it was really difficult to decorate them… and to cut them with the cookie cutter (UPDATE: I was just told by The Charmed Cupcake that I’m supposed to dip them in flour, still…I’m a round cookie cutter kinda girl). Actually, I was super close to throwing everything and just watch tv, but I’m super glad I did not cause they turned out to be delicious!
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
– Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined. Add flour and baking powder in intervals.
– Divide the dough into four parts, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate an hour or until firm.
– Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, about 1/4 inch thick for crispier cookies and 1/3 inch thick for softer cookies.
– Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges start to turn gold. For softer cookies, do not allow the cookies to take on color.
1 lemon, juiced
2 large egg whites
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
– Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, about 4-5 minutes. Add sugar and lemon juice. beat for 1 more minute. If icing is too thick add more egg whites, if it’s too thin add more sugar.
Save the recipes for these sugar cookies with icing: